Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pregnancy Update: 26 weeks and 4 days

Things have been pretty interesting around here the last few days. It all began last Sat. with the inkling that I may be developing another UTI (had one earlier in the pregnancy that was fairly difficult to treat). Due to MLK and the snow storm, the clinic wasn't open until Wed. By then I was feeling pretty miserable. The midwife couldn't fit me in, but I asked if I could just come in and give a urinalysis and she could order the antibiotics if needed as I was pretty uncomfortable. She did. Around 1100 I went to the lab. At 3:00pm she called me with unexpected results: I had a kidney stone! My back had REALLY started to hurt by then, I just didn't think stone, you know? I had had one before (6 weeks after Bailey was born). Luckily, my "heaven-sent" friend Allison came and got Bailey and I headed to L+D to get treated. The biggest risk is preterm labor. After 2L of fluids, Fentanyl and Phenergan I was feeling a little better. Taylor handled it all well and I was showing no contractions :). They sent me home with pain meds to take. Overall, I am still in quite a bit of pain, but just trying to wait until I pass it. Bailey's pregnancy was riddled with Preclampsia and I was so hoping this one would go "without serious worries". I pray it passes soon and complications don't arise. My BP was elevated, but then again....my pain was a 9/10 :(. Guess what the risk factors for developing a stone in pregnancy are? 1. Previous hx of stones (which I have) 2. Hx of complicated preg/ preterm delivery (Bailey) 3. Hx of previous UTI in that pregnancy (yes) .

Thank you all for your prayers and offers for help. I am taking it every day at a time. The best thing seems to be just relaxing and keeping distracted. It is frustrating to not be very mobile as my right flank starts to REALLY hurt if I do anything physical.

Sara

1 comment:

From the Bumpy Road said...

I'm so sorry things have been so rough. I hope you start feeling better soon!