to diet coke for many, many, many years. I would confidently say that I have had a diet coke most days of my life for the past 15 years. Even in Indonesia and Haiti I found some! The past few months have been very challenging physically. I have started running half-marathons, had a severe kidney stone (my third major one in 3 years) and dealt with dehydration on a daily basis due to the running. I knew that diet coke was not HEALTHY for me, but I was in denial that it was actually harmful. After some research (and just general common sense) I finally accepted the fact that drinking it as much as I was (daily) was harming my health. It has now been about a month since I stopped drinking it. I have not had one since that day (I knew it was an all or nothing thing for me as many addictions are). It has been difficult. Every time I pass Sonic I want to stop. When I go out to eat, I really want a soda. I have had a couple "regular" cokes, but I am much more likely to just get a small one as I know how many calories are in it :). I drink coffee in the morning, water and herbal tea throughout the day now. I am so thankful the Lord convicted me of this addiction. He says that NOTHING is to be more important then him. As crazy as it sounds, diet coke controlled my life in some ways. Financially (I have been able to save money since quiting!), Physically (constantly dehydrated), Emotionally (felt like I "HAD" to get my fix for the day). I just read an article that articulates better almost exactly what I have gone through the past month or so.
HERE is the article.
Please know that I am not judging anyone else who chooses to drink diet soda. This was a very personal decision that God had been convicting me on and I finally obeyed him. It has just been recently that I actually admitted that I was addicted.....a very humbling experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment