Friday, October 30, 2009

Weaning due to Food Allergies....


Following in her big sister's footsteps, it has been determined that no matter what I avoid, Taylor is allergic to something in my breastmilk. Her eczema is so bad that the pediatrician was really worried at her appointment (at to be honest, she was having a GOOD day as far as her skin goes, ha!). We have decided to do a trial month of Neocate (a prescription formula especially for extra, extra sensitive children like mine who have multiple food allergies). I was worried b/c Bailey had such a hard time transitioning from breastmilk (which is sweet) to her prescription formula (which smelled like dirty sweat socks). I just gave Taylor her first 2 oz bottle and she took it fairly well! YEAH! Such an answer to prayer.

I HATE giving up on breastfeeding. I LOVE the idea that I may once again soon be able to eat anything with egg, milk, cheese, and soy in it. Pizza anyone? Dessert? Starbucks? Cream Cheese? Mayo? Yummy! But, I would happily continue on this strict elimination diet if Taylor was doing well. She is not and that brings us to where we are. I have made sure to enjoy every nursing we have had the last 2 days as I knew our time was coming to a close. This probably will be our last child, and thus my last nursing experience. I never knew it was such an emotional bond between your child and you. My body kept my baby alive for 6 months! How amazing is that :). I WISH we did not struggle with food allergies and am secretly jealous of other Mother's who are able to breastfeed without paying attention to EVERY single crumb that goes into their mouths.

I am proud of myself and try to think of all that I have accomplished rather then what I will not be able to (my goal was always to breastfeed for one year). For ONE YEAR total of my life I have been EGG and MILK free. Wow. I don't know many others who have had to do that ;). So, I am thankful to God for this experience and closing this chapter with tears in my eyes, but am also thankful their is a prescription formula that will heal my baby of her issues.

3 comments:

From the Bumpy Road said...

Hi Sara! Just wanted to encourage you. With Kate, I was only able to breastfeed her through pumping and it was very discouraging to me because it was something I really wanted to do. But I am glad I was able to do it for a while even if it was in a different way. I am glad you had the time you did with Taylor breastfeeding - now go get yourself a venti, double-something, with whip!

Kay's Family said...

Weaning is emotional, especially when you have to do it prior to when you wanted too. Big hugs to you as you make the transition. You're a great Mom who is doing the best thing for your baby girl's health. That's what counts! You guys will learn to bond together in other ways.

Amber said...

Sara, you did great! You know all about my nursing struggles, so I'm so proud of you for sticking it out even when it wasn't easy. There is a season for everything...now enjoy the next season! Did you read Kelly's post about weaning? It was sweet.